**Note before proceeding: Liquid and electricity DON'T MIX! When the two meet, the liquid can destroy your circuits and also send you a serious shock if you're not careful!
- Immediately - make sure that your hands and the power button are dry. Turn the laptop off. Don't worry about shutting down the computer properly - hold down that power button until the computer shuts down (usually 5 seconds)
- Remove any source of electricity - remove the AC Adapter and the battery if the battery is removable. You MUST remove the battery and power adapter immediately, even if your computer looks OK and is running ok.
- Unplug all peripherals - mice etc.
- Turn it upside down to drain any access liquid
- Clean up the spilled liquid. First - dry the outside thoroughly with a towel. Then clear off a table and put a fresh towel over it. Open the laptop as wide as you can so that the keyboard and screen are flat and put the keyboard face down on the towel.
If the liquid spilled was sticky, such as alcohol or sugared drinks, you will need to call us immediately to give it a through cleaning of all the internal components. If you spilled water, you do have a chance of drying it out yourself - but as water does contain a certain amount of salt and minerals it can conduct electricity and can contribute to corrosion, so it is still recommended to bring it in as soon as possible for a thorough internal cleaning.
Do NOT stick a computer in a bag of rice! this just prolongs the circuits boards contact with corrosive materials that will make the damage worse - and we'll have to pick out rice chunks from the circuit boards inside!
Do NOT use compressed air or a hair dryer to dry the machine! Compressed air can make the problem worse and heat from a hair dryer can melt the plastic components of your machine.
Don't forget to contact us immediately to find out the next steps to having it checked over. Do not try to re-start the computer yourself as re-assembling and re-starting could cause a short circuit effectively killing your computer.
What are the top 10 most common liquids to spill on your laptop?
And the winners for the worst liquids to spill on your laptop are... (drum roll please..)
- #10. Nail polish remover
As this is designed to dissolve lacquer it easily dissolves the coating on your computers internal logic board.
- #9. Bodily fluids
most common bodily fluids are vomit and pee but there are many more that kill computers cannot be listed here - it's pretty gross for all involved. This also applies for animal bodily fluids like cat or dog urine.
- #8. Hard Liquor
The more sugar in the drink, the worse the corrosion that causes to the laptops internal parts. The sugar, usually sucrose, dries to form a natural bridge across circuits assuring a very sweet short-circuit.
- #7. Sea Water
Salt water is a great electrical conductor and one of the most corrosive liquids known to man. Ocean vs Laptop... ocean wins every time!
- #6. Hot Tea
The tannic acid is an effective conductor of electricity that will bridge circuits, create a short and burn out your internal components
- #5. Beer
As it is part water, part sugar and part brown goo beer tends to do some very nasty damage to your internal components
- #4. Wine
We tend to see a lot more wine spills on laptops then any of the others so far. But unfortunately for the computer owner, the sugar and acid combine to create a corrosion stew. Along with the sugars and ethyl alcohol, wine is an effective circuit shorter.
- #3. Soda
Coke drinkers seem to spill a lot of drinks on their laptops! Perhaps it's the caffeine? Soft drinks are extra corrosive because of the high levels of sugar and acidity of the liquid.
- #2. Water
Ironically, it's not the water that's the problem, it's what's in the water. Tap and bottled water contains minerals which account for its conductivity and it's ability to cause corrosion, leading to the death of your laptop. You may recall from high school chemistry class that distilled water will not conduct electricity, but add a few grains of salt or other materials and voila, we have a short circuit.
- #1. And the most common killer of Laptop computers is.... COFFEE!
A complex brew of exotic chemicals, caffeine, cafestol, caffeic acid and a myriad of additives like dairy cream, sugar, etc. becomes a computer killer.